Axiom Verge, the highly successful retro-side scrolling shooter/exploration game will be coming to Xbox One and Nintendo Wii U’s eShop later this year.
Aside from the fact that this game is heavily influenced by some of my favorite games from the past (Contra, Metroid, Master Blaster, etc.), it allows you to take advantage of glitches in the game, which previously would have hindered your progress in the old 8-bit and 16-bit games. What’s more, the game was made by ONE person, Tom Happ. Over the course of 5 years Tom built the game in his spare time, which is incredible to think about if you’ve ever played this game. (Hopefully you have, it’s awesome).
To date it’s won the following awards/nominations/accolades:
- Nominee, Indie Game of the Year, The Game Awards 2015
- Winner, Hardcore Gamer Best of 2015
- Winner, PlayStation Blog Editor’s Choice
- Winner, Destructoid’s Best of PAX East 2015
- Winner, GameSpot’s Best of E3 2014
- GameSpot’s Best Game Made By One Person Special Achievement Award
- Giant Bomb’s Editor’s Top Games of 2015: Jeff Gerstmann’s #3 Game of 2015, Dan Ryckert’s #4
- Jeremy Parish, US Gamer – 5/5 “Simply one of the best games I’ve played in years” (from Axiom Verge PS4 Review: Play It Again, Sam)
- Jeff Gerstmann, Giant Bomb – 5/5 “Axiom Verge is positively terrific.” (from Axiom Verge Review)
- Examiner.com – “Breathtaking… This work of love is one of 2015’s best yet” (from PS4 Review: Axiom Verge)
- The Huffington Post – Indie Hit ‘Axiom Verge’ Shows How One Person Can Take On Video Game Giants
- TheVerge.com – Axiom Verge Feels Like a Brand New Metroid on PS4: An Indie Developer Picks up Where Nintendo Left Off
- More than 24 independent review scores of 9/10 or higher
So basically what I’m saying is if you’ve been holding out for Axiom Verge to land on your Xbox One or Nintendo Wii U, you’re in luck. While we don’t have an official date on this, we know that it will be later this year (2016). Rad. Watch the original trailer below Tom Happ made on youtube a few years ago if you’ve never seen/heard of this game.
Source: SC Media
-Written by Andrew(@SoAfterISaid)